Nurse’s car reached 130 mph before fiery crash in Los Angeles that left 5 dead, court documents say

Nicole Lindon is arraigned Aug. 8 in Los Angeles County Superior Court on murder charges in connection with the crash in Windsor Hills that killed five people, including a pregnant woman. (Frederick M. Brown / Pool Photography)

A nurse charged with six counts of murder after her Mercedes-Benz plowed into traffic at a busy Windsor Hills intersection last month was speeding at 130 mph just before the crash, according to new court documents filed Friday.

The motion, filed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office in response to claims by the nurse’s attorneys that she was passed out before the crash, says Nicole Lindon was “conscious and purposeful driving.” .

Authorities initially estimated Linton’s car was traveling 90 mph when it crashed into several vehicles at the intersection of La Brea and Slauson avenues shortly after 1:30 p.m. on the 4th of August.

“Further analysis reveals that her speed at the time of impact was actually 130 mph and that she released the accelerator pedal for at least 5 seconds leading up to the crash, going from 122 mph to 130 mph,” the court filing said Friday .

Prosecutors said analysis of the Mercedes’ recorded data and surveillance footage show Lindon had “total steering control, maintaining steering angle to keep her car traveling directly toward the busy intersection.”

“This NASCAR-worthy performance flies in the face of the notion that she was insensitive or incompetent,” according to the filing.

Linton, 37, is charged with six counts of murder and five counts of negligent homicide. One of the victims was Asherey Ryan, who was 8.5 months pregnant. Prosecutors charged Lindon with murder in the death of Ryan’s fetus.

The crash also killed Ryan’s nearly 1-year-old child, Alonzo Quintero, and her boyfriend, Reynolds Lester, who was in the car with her.

Also killed were Nathesia Lewis, 43, and her friend Lynette Noble, 38.

Lindon has been held in jail since the crash, with prosecutors claiming she is a flight risk and a danger to the community.

Her defense attorneys said in a previous deposition that Lindon’s mental health had been deteriorating before the crash.

“She has no recollection of the events leading up to her collision,” wrote Dr. William Winter on Aug. 6. Winter treated Lyndon at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

“The next thing she remembered was laying on the pavement and seeing her car on fire,” she wrote.

Winter wrote that Lindon suffers from bipolar disorder and suffered an “apparent loss of consciousness” at the time of the crash, according to her heavily redacted medical records.

Lindon’s family became aware of her mental health issues in May 2018 when she was a nursing student at the University of Texas at Houston, her attorneys wrote. Nicole Linton’s sister Camille Linton said in a letter to the court that Nicole Linton’s studies as a nurse anesthetist triggered her first mental health crisis.

“The stress was too much for her and it ‘broke’ her,” wrote Camille Linton. “So begins the journey of Nicole’s 4-year struggle with mental illness.”

Linton ran from her apartment in May 2018 during a panic attack, and when police approached her, she jumped into a police car and was arrested for disorderly conduct, her lawyers wrote.

Lindon called her family from the police station and was concerned about her turtle’s welfare, according to her lawyers.

A few days after this arrest, Lyndon told her family that she believed she had been possessed by her dead grandmother.

The next day, at Ben Taub Psychiatric Hospital, Lindon required stitches to her forehead after hitting her head on a glass partition while yelling for the police and the Supreme Court, the attorneys wrote. She sang Bob Marley songs as medical staff treated her wound, records say.

It was at Ben Taub that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and prescribed psychiatric medication, the defense says.

Linton’s attorneys could not immediately be reached for comment Friday night.

This story originally appeared in the Los Angeles Times.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *