Hazlet’s ex-husband ordered to remain in jail pending trial for father’s murder

FREEHOLD – The former Hazlet man arrested and charged with killing his father last month will remain in the Monmouth County Jail after a detention hearing Tuesday.

Ernest K. Kotey, 43, has been charged with the first-degree murder of his father, second-degree burglary and the second-degree domestic violence strangulation of his 67-year-old aunt, the Monmouth County District Attorney’s Office said.

Hazlet police responded to a home in the 300 block of Middle Road shortly after midnight on Aug. 17, where they discovered Nikoi Kotey, 77, unresponsive and bleeding on a bedroom floor, according to the probable cause affidavit .

He was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Poseidon for treatment of a brain bleed as well as injuries to one side of his face. He was pronounced dead at around 5.45pm that day.

Another great crime:Matawan man accused of father’s murder, gruesome internet search agrees to stay in prison

Ernest Kotey had visited his father’s home on Aug. 15 and verbally confronted him, the affidavit said. Nikoi Kotey then ordered his son to leave the house and not return and also told his sister-in-law — Ernest Kotey’s aunt — that he was afraid of his son, according to the affidavit.

Ernest Kotey, who once lived in Hazlet, had been living with his aunt in Maryland for the past several months after he was previously charged with domestic violence against his father, according to the affidavit.

An investigation by members of the District Attorney’s Major Crimes Bureau and Hazlet Police concluded that Ernest Kotey fatally attacked his father after breaking into the home through the back entrance sometime around 11:00 pm on August 16th.

At that time — about an hour before officers responded to the scene — Ernest Kotety’s aunt heard strange noises and a loud crash outside the home, the affidavit said. She found the younger Kotey inside, where he told her, “next time I come knocking, you have to open the door.”

What is happening there;The new discount supermarket aims to replace the old Hazlet Aldi

She followed him upstairs to his father’s room, where he saw Kotey pull his father, unresponsive, out of bed, according to the affidavit.

She went back downstairs and Kotey followed her, where he attacked her by grabbing her by the throat, taking her cellphone when she tried to call police, the affidavit said. He then returned upstairs and his aunt told police she heard him order his father to get up, followed by loud punches and slaps.

His aunt then fled to a neighbor’s house where she asked them to call 911, the affidavit said, telling them Kotey was going to kill his father.

Hazlett:How ‘flashing signs’ could save lives as pedestrian deaths rise

Responding officers found a glass panel in the back door had been broken, allowing access to the inside door handle, the affidavit said, and several screens from the first-floor windows had been removed.

State Superior Court Judge Jill O’Malley is presiding over that case, and Cotey’s first court date is set for Sept. 26 in state Superior Court in Monmouth County.

Jenna Calderón covers breaking news and colds in Monmouth and Ocean counties. Before entering the press, he covered The Queen City for Cincinnati Magazine in Ohio. Contact her at 330-590-3903. jcalderon@gannettnj.com

This article originally appeared in the Asbury Park Press: Ex-Hazlet NJ man to stay in jail awaiting trial in father’s slaying

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *