Giants Joc Pederson and Mike Yastrzemski’s offseason plan revealed by Farhan Zaidi

Zaidi reveals Giants’ offseason approach to vets like Joc, Yaz appeared first on NBC Sports Bayarea

With the Giants not living up to expectations this season, it’s clear that there may be some roster changes next year.

There are major decisions to be made with two players in particular: free agent Joc Pederson and colleague Mike Yastrzemski, who will be entering his second arbitration-eligible season.

Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi discussed the team’s future plans for Pederson and Yastrzemski during an interview on KNBR’s “Tolbert & Copes” Thursday, where he gave some insight into his offseason approach.

“We still have some goals we want to achieve this year. We want to get to the point where we have a winning record,” Zaidi said. “Do you just want to release or waive every veteran player when you get a little out of it?”

It’s clear Zaidi believes there are still key pieces in San Francisco that can help the team return to winning ways in 2023. For starters, the Giants “would love” to have Pederson back next season, Zaidi said.

“We’ve spoken a few with his representatives, I’ve spoken with Joc about it,” Zaidi said. “He’s from here, he played well, he was an All-Star for us. And we’ve got two and a half homers left, our fans, we’ve got people coming to the games to watch Joc Pederson swing the bat.

“We’d just love to have him back and we’d love to see him finish the season strong in our kit and hopefully he can come back next year.”

Pederson grew up a Giants fan in Palo Alto and has made the most of his first year playing in the Bay after signing a one-year, $6 million contract in March. He’s slashing .263/.339/.513 this season with 20 home runs and, as Zaidi reported, earned a starting spot on the National League All-Star team this summer.

Like Pederson, Yastrzemski is on a one-year contract with the Giants after avoiding arbitration in March with a $3.7 million deal. He remains under team control until 2025 and Zaidi has hinted that he will be offered a contract in arbitration this winter and contribute in the 2023 season in a central role.

“As for Yaz… it was just a bad season for him. He is disappointed,” Zaidi said. “And last year his batting average wasn’t there, but he still hit 25 homers, so you still had offensive production in a certain way.

“He’s still a guy who brings a ton of intangibles to the table. He’s a great defensive player and yes, I think we see him as part of this team going forward and I know he’ll be just as motivated as everyone else to come back strong next year.”

RELATED: Krukow: Rodón ‘wants to stay’ with Giants as waiver looms

Yastrzemski is slashing .203/.303/.361 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI this season. He’s a far cry from his breakout 2020 campaign, which saw him post a .297 batting average or even last season, trailing only Brandon Belt (another tough decision for the Giants) for the team lead in home runs home games.

Still, the 32-year-old remains a valuable asset with his glove, and it’s clear Zaidi and the Giants believe he can rebound offensively.

However, if the team wants to make a run at a World Series title next season, there are some things that need to change.

But it appears that Giants fans can count on Pederson and Yastrzemski remaining mainstays in the outfield if Zaidi’s plan pans out.

Download and follow the Giants Talk Podcast

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *