‘Batgirl’ directors no longer have access to footage from superhero film: ‘We have nothing’

Leslie Grace as Batgirl in the recently released HBO Max superhero movie.  (Photo: Leslie Grace/Twitter)

Leslie Grace as Batgirl in the recently released HBO Max superhero movie. (Photo: Leslie Grace/Twitter)

When Zack Snyder parted ways with Warner Bros Justice League, he famously took material from his all-star superhero team with him. The studio’s recently released directors Bat girl the film was not so lucky. In a new interview with French YouTube channel SKRIPT, Belgian directing team Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah revealed that they do not have any footage from the film, in which he would star. On high level Scene stealer Leslie Grace as Batgirl, and also featured Michael Keaton in his vintage 1989 Batsuit as Gotham City’s Dark Knight.

“No, we don’t have anything,” the duo told SKRIPT, with Fallah mentioning that the co-director belatedly suggested he try recording footage from the film on his smartphone. “Adil called me and said, ‘Go ahead, shoot some stuff on your phone.’ I got into the server and everything was blocked.” Added El Arbi: “We were like, ‘F**king s***!’ All the scenes with Batman in them! S**t!'”

The decision of the head of Warner Bros. Discovery, David Zaslav, to scrap Bat girl — which had a $75 million budget that ballooned to $90 million after COVID delays — sent shockwaves through the industry when the news first broke earlier this month. Originally intended to premiere on HBO Max, the studio decided not to complete the film after receiving low ratings in an early test screening and a strategic shift away from producing big-budget original films for the streaming service. (Variety also mentioned that the shelves Bat girl allowed Warner Bros. to take a tax cut for the production.)

El Arbi and Fallah — whose other directorial credits include; Bad Boys for Life and many episodes of Disney+ Ms. Marvel TV series — confirm that their film was a victim of a change in priorities. “The guys at Warners told us it wasn’t a talent issue on our part or the actress, or even the quality of the film,” El Arbi told SKRIPT. “They told us it was a strategic change. There was new management and they wanted to save money.”

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - JANUARY 13: Directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah on the set of the new movie Batgirl on January 13, 2022 in Glasgow, Scotland.  Leslie Grace will star as Batgirl in the upcoming film, parts of which will be shot on the streets of Glasgow.  (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

Bat girl directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah on the set of the film in Glasgow in January. (Photo: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

Of course, Snyder’s experience provides a case study in how a dead superhero movie can eventually be resurrected. Last year, the four-hour director’s cut Justice League premiered on HBO Max after an extensive post-production process that included new visual effects and additional footage. And while the Bat girl The filmmakers would love to see their film follow a similar arc, they also know the hurdles involved.

“Before it was released one day, there would be a lot of work still to be done – just like the Snyder Cut,” El Arbi said. “[Batgirl] it cannot be released in its current state. There is no VFX, we still had to shoot some scenes. So if [Warners] he wanted us to release it Bat girl film they should give us the means to do it. to finish it right with our vision.”

For now, both are happy to have the support of the wider film community, which has largely condemned the studio’s decision not to release Bat girl on HBO Max or in theaters. “Seeing all the support on Twitter, even from great directors Edgar Wright and James Gunn, sending us supportive messages, was comforting,” Fallah commented. “Hopefully, Inshallah, it will happen.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.